ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A LONG TERM VOLUNTEERING EXPERIENCE IN SOUTH AFRICA?
Join DAKTARI for 9-12 months and volunteer for free!
- You’ll get three delicious meals per day prepared for you
- You will stay in your own room (when possible) with a bathroom shared with other long-term volunteers
- You must speak, read, and write English fluently to be considered
- We ask that you pay a deposit of R1000 per month and you’ll receive R1000 back each month to use as spending money
- You will have access to DAKTARI’s free wifi through your work computer as well as on your personal devices
- You will need to get a volunteer visa before you arrive in South Africa and we will provide you with an invitation letter from DAKTARI to support your application.
- You will work Monday – Friday from 9am until 5pm (lunch is 12:30 – 13:30). Saturday and Sunday are your days off.
- Time off is mandatory! Every two months, you take a week off in order to explore what South Africa has to offer.
VOLUNTEER COMMUNICATIONS & MEDIA MANAGER
MINIMUM 9 MONTHS - APPLICATIONS ARE CURRENTLY OPEN (START IN FEBRUARY 2020)
DAKTARI is looking for someone who is eager to tell our story to the world, someone who loves to wordsmith, and someone with an eye for graphic design. The communications & media manager is the voice of DAKTARI and we are looking for someone excited to take on the challenge of describing our work to a big and variable audience in a fun and engaging way.
Part of your role is to tell everyone what is happening at DAKTARI every day. That means you have a front-row seat to all of the exciting things happening at the camp!
Your job will include
- Managing DAKTARI’s accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, including posting content daily
- Writing and sending DAKTARI’s monthly newsletter and other campaign emails
- Managing DAKTARI’s partnership with GlobalGiving, including:
- Updating project pages when necessary
- Completing quarterly project reports
- Thanking donors by email
- Strategically planning and executing fundraising campaigns
- Creating media and marketing content for DAKTARI including brochures, merchandise, photos, and videos
- Maintaining DAKTARI’s brand across all promotional materials and enforcing its use throughout the organisation
- Updating and improving DAKTARI’s website
- You must be comfortable working with Mac computers
- You must be able to meet deadlines and manage your time well
- You must have strong writing skills and be able to work independently
- Previous marketing or communications experience is strongly preferred
- Experience with Adobe software is strongly preferred, specifically Photoshop and/or Fireworks
- Photography experience and/or experience making videos is a huge plus.
VOLUNTEER CORPORATE FUNDRAISING MANAGER
MINIMUM 9 MONTHS - APPLICATIONS ARE CURRENTLY OPEN (START IN APRIL 2020)
As a nonprofit organisation, DAKTARI is always looking for opportunities for funding, either to sustain our programs or grow them (like getting cleaning products from Ecologic!). We need someone who can assist our directors with applying for grants and reporting back on those we receive.
You will learn everything there is to know about DAKTARI and put that knowledge into proposals and reports. Fundraising is a competitive area with many challenges. You will be using DAKTARI's proposal to apply for grants from corporate organizations and foundations. You will have to use specific software to manage DAKTARI's fundraising. This will help you set goals, reminders and deadlines.
Your job will include
- Working with directors to create and update proposals for potential funders
- Researching and identifying possible funding opportunities
- Working with the marketing manager to create promotional materials and maintain the DAKTARI brand
- Preparing reports for our funders on use of funds
- Compiling data about DAKTARI’s activities
- Assisting the directors with monitoring and evaluation data to measure DAKTARI’s impact
- You must be comfortable with Mac computers and Microsoft Office
- You must be confident telephoning potential donors
- Strong communications skills, especially in writing
- Strong research skills
- Previous experience in fundraising is a huge plus
VOLUNTEER OUTREACH ASSISTANT
MINIMUM 9 MONTHS - APPLICATIONS ARE CURRENTLY CLOSED UNTIL NOVEMBER 2019 (START IN APRIL 2020)
The DAKTARI Outreach Program is an integral part of our work. This program reinforces the impact we have on the children that come to DAKTARI. We also expand our impact by empowering the local community members to lift themselves out of poverty. Your job will be to maximise this impact in ways that excite the students and community members.
This position allows you to get fully immersed in the local culture and help the communities tackle poverty. You and your local Outreach Manager will be working closely with members of the community and get to know them very well.
Your job will include
- Traveling to two of the local secondary schools and teaching the weekly Eco-Club (after school lessons on the environment)
- Creating and updating lesson plans for the Eco-Clubs – they will need to be engaging and fun for the students
- Coordinating the outreach campaigns and prepare engaging and impactful lessons for the students
- Community empowerment activities, including job training workshops
- Looking for ways to measure and analyse your impact in the community
- Follow up our community impact statistics and analysis
- Organise Village Tours and Home Stays
- Assist with the workload alongside our local Outreach Manager
- You must hold an international driving license and be prepared to drive out to schools by yourself
- You must have good time and staff management skills and the ability to focus on several projects at once
- You should be confident in preparing and teaching lessons to children who are not used to paying attention or having fun in class
- Experience teaching individuals whose native language is not English is strongly preferred
- Having previous intercultural experiences or having experienced an underprivileged African classroom is a huge plus
VOLUNTEER KITCHEN MANAGER
MINIMUM 9 MONTHS - APPLICATIONS ARE CURRENTLY OPEN
Food is the way to one’s heart. And at DAKTARI we are proud of the food we serve our volunteers and children. After a long and intense day, there’s nothing better than a good home cooked meal.
In order to keep everything running smoothly, we need someone to assist our kitchen staff with some of the behind the scenes things. Is food your passion and are you good at managing people? Then this might be the position for you! Make up the menus, order food and see to everything in the kitchen. And who knows, maybe you’ll even learn how to make some traditional South African dishes!
Your job will include
- Putting together nutritious and delicious menus for our volunteers and children
- Overseeing the kitchen staff
- Ordering food and keeping stock
- Taking care of hygiene and cleanliness
- Good people and management skills
- Experience in hospitality is advantageous
- Good level of spoken and written English