ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A LONG TERM VOLUNTEERING EXPERIENCE IN SOUTH AFRICA?
Join DAKTARI for 9-12 months and volunteer for free!
- You will get a meaningful work experience whilst being in the middle of the bush, surrounded by animals and people from all over the world.
- You’ll get three delicious meals per day prepared for you
- You will stay in your own room (when possible) with a bathroom shared with other long-term volunteers
- You must speak, read, and write English fluently to be considered
- We ask that you pay a deposit of R1000 per month and you’ll receive R1000 back each month to use as spending money
- You will have access to DAKTARI’s free WiFi through your work computer as well as on your personal devices
- You will need to get a volunteer visa before you arrive in South Africa and we will provide you with an invitation letter from DAKTARI to support your application.
- You will work Monday – Friday from 8am until 5pm (lunch is 12:30 – 14:00). Saturday and Sunday are your days off.
- You will have time to explore all the wonders of South Africa!
VOLUNTEER COMMUNICATIONS & MEDIA MANAGER
MINIMUM 12 MONTHS - Application are open, to start on the 2nd of January 2022
DAKTARI is looking for someone who is eager to tell our story to the world, someone who loves to wordsmith, and someone with an eye for graphic design. The communications & media manager is the voice of DAKTARI and we are looking for someone excited to take on the challenge of describing our work to a big and variable audience in a fun and engaging way.
Part of your role is to tell everyone what is happening at DAKTARI every day. That means you have a front-row seat to all of the exciting things happening at the camp!
Your job will include
- Managing DAKTARI’s accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, including posting content daily
- Keeping up to date with all current marketing trends and set up campaigns accordingly
- Creating media and marketing content for DAKTARI including brochures, merchandise, photos, and videos
- You are the link between DAKTARI and the agents. Send them monthly newsletters, maintain a good relationship and keep our listings up to date
- Writing articles for newsletters and newspapers
- Maintaining DAKTARI’s brand across all promotional materials and enforcing its use throughout the organisation
- Updating and improving DAKTARI’s website
- You must be comfortable working with Mac computers
- You must be able to meet deadlines and manage your time well
- You must have strong writing skills and be able to work independently
- Previous marketing or communications experience is strongly preferred
- Experience with Adobe software is strongly preferred, specifically Photoshop, InDesign and/or Fireworks
- Experience with WordPress is highly recommended
- Photography experience and/or experience making videos is a huge plus.
VOLUNTEER CORPORATE FUNDRAISING MANAGER
MINIMUM 9 MONTHS - Applications are open to start in
As a nonprofit organisation, DAKTARI is always looking for opportunities for funding, either to sustain our programs or grow them. We need someone who can assist our directors with applying for grants and reporting back on those we receive.
You will learn everything there is to know about DAKTARI and put that knowledge into proposals and reports. Fundraising is a competitive area with many challenges. You will be using DAKTARI's proposal to apply for grants from corporates, organisations and foundations. You will have to use specific software to manage DAKTARI's fundraising. This will help you set goals, reminders and deadlines.
Your job will include
- Working with directors to create and update proposals for potential funders
- Researching and identifying possible funding opportunities
- Working with the marketing manager to create strategic campaigns
- Preparing reports for our funders on use of funds
- Compiling data about DAKTARI’s activities
- Assisting the directors with monitoring and evaluation data to measure DAKTARI’s impact
- You must be comfortable with Mac computers and Microsoft Office
- You must be confident telephoning potential donors
- Strong communications skills, especially in writing
- Strong research skills
- Previous experience in fundraising is a huge plus
VOLUNTEER OUTREACH MANAGER
MINIMUM 9 MONTHS -Applications will open 1st of January 2022 to start in May 2022
The DAKTARI Outreach Program is an integral part of our work. This program reinforces the impact we have on the children that come to DAKTARI. We also expand our impact by empowering the local community members to lift themselves out of poverty. Your job will be to maximise this impact in ways that excite the students and community members.
This position allows you to get fully immersed in the local culture and help the communities tackle poverty. You and your local Outreach Assistant will be working closely with members of the community and get to know them very well.
Your job will include
- Traveling to a local secondary school and teaching the weekly Eco-Club (after school lessons on the environment)
- Creating and updating lesson plans for the Eco-Clubs – they will need to be engaging and fun for the students
- Coordinating the outreach campaigns and prepare engaging and impactful lessons for the students
- Community empowerment activities, including job training workshops
- Looking for ways to measure and analyse your impact in the community
- Follow up our community impact statistics and analysis
- Organise Village Tours and Home Stays
- Assist with the workload alongside our local Outreach Assistant
- You must hold an international driving license and be prepared to drive out to schools by yourself
- You must have good time and staff management skills and the ability to focus on several projects at once
- You should be confident in preparing and teaching lessons to children who are not used to paying attention or having fun in class
- Experience teaching individuals whose native language is not English is strongly preferred
- Having previous intercultural experiences or having experienced an underprivileged African classroom is a huge plus
WILDLIFE ORPHANAGE MANAGER
MINIMUM 9 MONTHS - Application are open now, to start in March 2022
The Wildlife and Orphanage Manager will ensure the health and wellbeing of the animals in camp. He/she will be responsible for maintenance/ repairs of animal camp and for upkeep of animals in captivity.
Your job will include
- Ensure the health and wellbeing of the animals in camp
- Provide basic veterinary care when required
- Notify the veterinarian in case of serious illness and administer medication as directed
- Run the enrichment programme
- Manage the volunteers and children whilst they undertake animal tasks
- Identify and prepare animals for release
- Improve enclosures
- Run the orphan care department
- Take over from the animal manager during his time off
- Watch for births, breeding and unusual behavior, and record their observations
- Take occasional visitors/sponsors on tours around the camp
- Answer visitors’ and volunteers questions and educate them about specific animals and species in general
- Keep the online database up to date with all animals and daily happenings
- Keep stock of resources and order more when required
- Keep up to date with scientific findings and developments in captive care guidelines
- Work with the fundraising team to gain sponsorship for resources and materials
- Must have previous experience of working with wild animals
- Gentle, quiet and patient with animals
- Physically fit and no allergies to animals
- Knowledge of ethics and welfare issues associated with captive animals
- Good observational skills
- Ability to cope with upsetting situations like working with injured or badly treated animals
- Willingness to do dirty or unpleasant tasks
- Good level of written and spoken English
- Written communication skills
- Computer skills and knowledge of office software.
- The ability to work well as part of a team
- The ability to manage international volunteers
VOLUNTEER OFFICE ASSISTANT
MINIMUM 9 MONTHS - Applications are open now to start in June 2022.
We are looking for an office genie. Someone that is good at logistics and loves helping other people. You'll be the link that bonds the office team together and the oil to make it run smoothly. From ordering food to helping out in the various departments, two days are never the same for our office assistant!
Your job will include
- Ordering food and checking stock
- Being in charge of our curios shop
- Organising excursions for our volunteers
- Assisting the office team in whatever task they may need
- Good people and management skills
- Being able to work with Mac computers
- Good level of spoken and written English
- Being open to any tasks and always being prepared to help
- Knowledge of Excel is a plus
VOLUNTEER CAMP MAINTENANCE MANAGER
MINIMUM OF 9 MONTHS- Applications are open to start now.
We are looking for someone handy, hardworking and good team player. The Maintenance Manager is responsible for the upkeep of DAKTARI property. He/She is also responsible for repairs and installation tasks. Proper maintenance is important, enables other staff members to complete their jobs effectively.
Your Job will include
- Conduct regular inspections and ensure the upkeep and maintenance of all areas of Daktari
- Ensure the proper working of all electrical units and systems in the camp
- Ensure the generators are clean and maintained
- Ensure the solar systems are maintained, batteries checked for water levels and the panels are cleaned every week.
- Work with the team of general labourers and delegate work areas to them.
- Keep records of all the day-to-day maintenance and service activities
- Complying with all corporate policies and the Occupational Safety and health administration rules (OSHA) while carrying out maintenance functions.
- Place orders for spare parts, fuel, gas, and equipment for replacement
- Synchronise work processes with other divisions of the establishment
- Supervise any building and constructions
- Plan daily schedule of work required with the maintenance team
- Work with the Animal manager in terms of upgrading/building of animal camps
- Set clear policies and ground rules such as the level of quality excepted